1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen ankel ~ foul odor ~ 911 ~ please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    R.C.R.I. 7 mo. old. Badly swollen ankle. Has been swollen for about 1 1/2 weeks. Fairly sure puncture wound that has caused abscess. Seemed to be getting better yesterday but today was obvious it was much worse. Cleaned area thoroughly tonight with peroxide and a soft tooth brush. Poured on Benadril ~ let dry and applied Blue Kote. Ankle is hot and has a VERY FOUL ODOR. One very tiny place with drop of blood showing above the most swollen part. I feel it needs to be lanced so it can drain, but not sure how or where on the area to lance. Want to see if I can meet my vet. somewhere on Wed. and have her check it. My vet. only treats equine but I think I can get her to look at the chicken if I meet her somewhere convenient for her. Tues, tomorrow, is her 'day off'. I think the chicken needs a strong shot (s) of antibiotics. I have penicillin but there is another Rx I have read mentioned on B.Y.C. that starts with a T -----? Which ? injected where ? how much ?. Help PLEASE ! Thank you !

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i think your asking about tylan, penicillin is probably better for what you are dealing with. do you have any pictures?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with the penicillin for treatment, but I would do bumblefoot surgery. There should be pus inside this foot, and it may be a solid plu since pus after a little while becomes solid. Just lance it after cleaning with betadine, and squeeze rather strongly to try to get the plug out. You may have to cut more than lance. Then fill it with neosporin, gauze, and vet wrap or duct tape. Procaine penicillin G dosage is 1/10 of a cc/ml given into the breast muscle for 4 days.

4. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    THANK YOU !

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i wanted to add, do not use any pain relievers ending in cane, caine etc. they are toxic to chickens.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No offense intended, but injectable penicillin has procaine in it.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i was wondering, thats why i said it.... does all injectable penicillin have it?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have never seen it without. Not saying that it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen any that's sold for animals that didn't have it.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, I've been trying to find some documented info on the "caine" toxicity issue, but haven't been able to find much. You know that stuff they sell called Quick Stop? The one I have has benzocaine (I think) in it and it's labeled for birds, so go figure...

-Kathy

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i have never heard of quick stop. im guessing it is a blood stop product?

now that you mention it, i have never seen any true scientific research on the subject of -cains being toxic to birds. i did find this thread where speckled hen talks about it some:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/274378/why-no-caine-products-suburan-rural-myth-or-fact

they talk more about topical applications, i have seen the 5 minute death they talk about in a pheasant, however im not a vet and i cant tell you for sure if it was the lidocaine or the bird's injuries. im anxious to learn more about this now, would you please share any info you find? (PM is fine so we dont hijack the thread.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by