1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen around eye area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechick236, Sep 29, 2010.

1. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    This is one of my 1 yr. old leghorn hens, found her like this tonight. My husband thinks she might have gotten bit. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my, is she the same on the other side of her face? It very well could be an insect bite. Can you see a bite mark? I think, if I were you, I'd give her some antibiotics just in case it could be infected. Duramayacin is relatively inexpensive, and you can put it in her drinking water.

Another thing that comes to mind is fowl pox. I would expect to see more of the black crusty spots though. If it was fowl pox (which is spread by mosquitos), then it's something that just has to run it's course.

Poor thing. It does look painful. Good luck with her. Maybe someone else will come along with a more positive answer for you.........

Sharon

3. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Thank you. The other side is normal [​IMG] I've isolated her in a kennel w/ some antibiotic water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by