Swollen around the ear!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuvMaChickies, Sep 15, 2010.

1. LuvMaChickies

LuvMaChickies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    I noticed on my silkie, around his one ear, its raised. The tiny feather, that usually covers his ear hole is just a stub and it looks like, inside his ear is either blocked or just that swollen. It also appears to be harder around that ear, then around the other one. He wouldn't really let me check it too well, though. Does anybody know what this could be and what I can do?? If needed, I suppose I can try and get a picture of it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. LuvMaChickies

Oct 2, 2009
    Nobody knows what this could be??

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Mostlikely an infection, if posible you should get antibiotics from the feed store, if it get worse seek a vet.

4. LuvMaChickies

Oct 2, 2009
    The chickens share a water container. If I get antibiotics for in the water, it won't hurt the other chicken will it??

5. ChickenMadness

ChickenMadness Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Framfield
    It shouldn't hurt them no but I would separate your little one if planning to treat with antibiotics as they can quickly build up an immunity to the use of antibiotics and they may not be as affective if/when you really need them. There have also been rare cases of chickens having reactions to the treatment.

I recall something similar with my little silkie cockerel, that turned out not to be an infection but a tic like bug that had burrowed in there causing inflamation. Within a few days of removing it and making sure there wasn't a bug infestation anywhere all was back to normal.

ACV and Pro Biotic yoghurt helped speed things along.

Hope you've seen improvement [​IMG]

6. LuvMaChickies

Oct 2, 2009
    I haven't seen any improvement with my poor little guy. He's acting normal, otherwise. I had purchased Duramycin-10 from the tractor supply place. They recommended I give it a try, but I have been unsure if I should, after reading a few of the other posts on here, about sick birds. So, I have included some pictures. Hopefully, someone has had a similar problem and can tell me what this could be and how to treat it. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LuvMaChickies

Oct 2, 2009
    Anybody??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  8. LuvMaChickies

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry wish I could help, sooner or later someone will be able too. It does sound like maybe an infection I'd give him the antibiotic for starters.

10. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Have you consulted a vet? It could be due to a respiratory infection, but it can also be from a bee or wasp. Apart from the swollen head, does the bird show any other symptoms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by