Swollen Baby Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flutteredbye, Feb 16, 2013.

1. flutteredbye

flutteredbye New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    I originally posted this in Raising Baby Chicks but didn't receive a single reply... figure maybe I just posted in the wrong forum.

So, I'm new to raising chickens. I've read tons, googled more and lurked around BYC for months before ordering my chicks. Wednesday my little ladies came by mail, no DOA's. 12 buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter eggers and 1 cuckoo maran. I've since lost two BO's (1 weak out of the box and 1 lil runt that refused to eat or drink regardless of nursing). My loss appears to be a much lesser degree than most others ordering chicks in cold months, especially from Ohio to Colorado.

Which leads me to Becky another BO that appears to be in some sort of distress. I use this term relatively loosely though, she's active, she eats, she drinks, she makes poop and she is pasty butt free. She however looks as though she has swallowed a tennis ball! She's the roundest little chick. Yesterday evening while inspecting them all for pasty butt and any other abnormalities I discovered what appears to be a bruise on her belly. It is red and purple in color and approximately an inch in length and half an inch wide. She is obviously quite swollen, she's not as fast as the other chicks and actually appears to waddle in comparison. Her breathing appears labored at times but not a constant.

She was the largest out of the box however I fear it's not just because she's "big boned" but rather an ailment or sickness. Possible internal injury from shipping which has caused interal bleeding? Any ideas? Suggestions? I hate the thought of her possibly being in pain. And at what point can I stop being a worried mess about waking in the morning to yet another dead chick?

Thank you!

2. flutteredbye

flutteredbye New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    No, she isn't any stinkier than the others nor does she have any of the other symptoms for Omphalitis. Though I'm concerned about losing her, I'm also concerned that if it is some sort of illness it could be passed to the other chicks which are thriving. Is separating her best?

3. Kittenplay

Kittenplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Alma, WV
    I once had a chick that felt like she was filled with air. I called the vet and he said to gently squeeze the air out which I did but it kept returning. After a week or so she returned to normal after the doctor said she probably wouldn't make it. But she is still alive today and that was lat year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by