swollen beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elena de Gaia, Jan 21, 2011.

1. elena de Gaia

elena de Gaia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Hi,
    The upper beaks of 3 of my hens is swollen and shorter than the upper beak. They look healthy otherwise and are eating fine. Anyone know what this is or what to do?[​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Do you have pics? I have heard similar stories of turkeys and such who have ad swollen head this winter, but pics would def, help. No other symptoms?

3. elena de Gaia

elena de Gaia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    I will try to get pictures tomorrow. Another hen had an inflamed infected eye and nostrils a month ago. I treated with triple antibiotic ointment and it appeared to clear up. THis morning that chicken [goldie] was dead. She might have gootten to cold. the waterer had tipped over and the shavings got wet . Since her illness she has been shunned by other chickens so she sleeps separately from the others...n0ot huddles together. When I found her dead I carefully examoned the others and 3 from the same farm all appeared to have swollen red beaks with the upper beak shorter than the lower. Could this be a respiratory problem treatable with antibiotics? Since all the snow the chickens have stayed in their coop....I cleaned out the wet shaving and replaced them with a thick fluffy layer of fresh dry shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by