Swollen Belly And Not Laying

sca001

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
Spokane, WA
I have a 1 year old crested cream legbar that has a swollen belly. It has been like this for as long as I can remember. She is our biggest hen and I have always thought she was just "larger" than the others. She hasn't laid for about a month and a half now. This all started about 3 months ago when she would only lay "fairy eggs" about once or twice a week. I adjusted the flocks feed and made some improvements. Nothing changed with my CCL unfortunately. In the last month, she has not laid a single egg. She goes into the nesting box everyday and sits there for about an hour but, no egg. Her comb and waddle are a beautiful red in color and she doesn't seem lethargic or waddle like an egg bound hen. She is still pooping just fine (that I can tell) and I dint see any sings of worms in her poop. The coop is always kept clean and water is always clean and easily accessible. Overall, she seems healthy from head to toe. Because of this, I haven't worried about her. Does anyone have any experience with their hen(s) exhibiting the same behavior? I am planning on making an appointment with our local avian vet this next week just to make sure she is okay. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Good that she's going to the Vet. It will be interesting to hear the results. I had a hen that molted in her first year, and never laid an egg in her lifetime. She was perfectly healthy up until the end (fox got her). If she's eating/drinking/acting normal, this may just be her.

Back
Top Bottom