Swollen belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Razin Chikinz, May 21, 2019.

1. Razin Chikinz

Razin Chikinz Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Hello, my name is Tammy (Razin Chikinz) . I have a 3 year old Rhode Island Red who has a swollen belly and it feels warm. She is having difficulty standing. She looks as if she is too heavy for her legs. She is still eating and drinking. Not sure if she’s pooping or laying eggs or not. I cleaned her vent and she’s pretty swollen.
    Thank you

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Tammy :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
    Can you post a photo of your hen and her poop?

A swollen belly and having difficulty standing, sounds like your girl is suffering from a reproductive disorder. It would be a good idea to feel inside her vent to make sure she's not eggbound. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Internal Laying, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis, sadly are common in laying hens. Sometimes fluid in the belly (Ascites) is also present.
    If there is fluid in the abdomen, draining that may offer some short term relief. If you have vet care it would be best.

If she is not lethargic, you can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that gives her any comfort. Do keep in mind that giving a sick hen a soak can be risky and too much stress on them, so use your judgement.

Razin Chikinz and Eggcessive like this.
  3. Razin Chikinz

Razin Chikinz Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Thank you! I tried the epsom salt soak. That seemed to help her some. I will try to take a picture tomorrow. I tried to feel inside her vent and couldn’t feel anything.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: