Swollen, bloody vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockinmc, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rockinmc

rockinmc New Egg

Mar 6, 2012
    One of my chickens started bleeding from her vent the other day. We separated her from the other two chickens because they were wanting to pick at the blood. She still laid an egg but it was very bloody. Today I went out to check on her and try to clean up some of the blood off of her. She laid another egg during the night and only a little blood was on it. She still had a little blood coming out the vent but now Im worried because it looks very swollen and green goo around it.

Does anyone know what this might be and is there anything I can do for this. I put a little neosporine on it because I did not know what to do. Also should I throw away any eggs she lays or are they edible.

I hope someone can help me. thanks [​IMG]

2. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Is there blood in the stool? If so it could be a sign of coccidia. The eggs should edible so long as you haven't given her any medication yet. Not sure what else it could be without more symptoms

3. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    x2

4. rockinmc

rockinmc New Egg

Mar 6, 2012
    No there is no blood in the stools. Not bleeding any longer but still swollen and a little oozing still.

5. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    is she still eating and drinking per usual? any other symptoms you can share?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by