Swollen bottom end, below vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CovertChicken, Dec 19, 2010.

1. CovertChicken

CovertChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    I posted a message a bit ago. I thought that maybe if I changed the title it might help people looking to help. I have a hen that is about 9 months old and I found her laying on the groung outside of the coop. She will move, but she is very lethargic. When I picked her up I noticed that her butt wa swollen. I have read a little about the egg-bound problems. Currently she is enjoying a warm bath. I am hoping that this is the problem, but I don't know if I can actually feel an egg inside of her. Just beloe the vent it is puffy and appears to be slightly yellow. I anyone can help I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Brian

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds like you're doing the right thing...warm bath, lightly massage the swollen area to promote relaxation and movement. Most say to lubricate the vent area (with any mild lubricant on hand). Keep her in a warm area - maybe in a dog crate or something. Is she eating or drinking??

3. CovertChicken

Dec 12, 2010
    I just found her a little over an hour ago. She is very tired. I have not yet tried to give her anything. I am very concerned about her. If it is just an egg, would it appear to be yellow like it is infected?

4. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I had that problem with a couple of my hens and they didn't make it through. I have researched some sites that have those same relivations with their birds. I just googled and hope this will help you. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4340 Here is another one http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0819230112717.html?4 It is a lot of reading but they hove some solutions and I have to take that into account. I also bought a chicken Health book and an reading it. But you are doing the right thigs so keep it up. :)

5. teach1rusl

So is it the actual skin of the bulge that is yellowish?? Or is her vent area yellowish? Is it possible for you to post a picture of the area so that we can get a clearer idea??
    Is her rear end area kind of "pulsing," like maybe she's trying to expel an egg???

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    When you feel her abdomen, does it feel hard, like there's an egg right there, or is it soft and squishy? If it's hard, she may be an internal layer. If squishy, she may have an infection and might take to antibiotics, but she doesn't sound like she's doing well at all.

7. CovertChicken

Dec 12, 2010
    I hate to announce this, I appreciate the rush of help that I received. My bird (Fang is her name, she bites for attention) gave up the ghost about ten minutes ago. I was attempting to examine her vent and she became extremely weak and went into a death convulsion. Thank you Rainbow for your link. I think that she had some kind of massive infection and was probably septic. I was lucky I found her when I did. At least I got to comfort her in her last moments. I probably could not have saved her if she had seen a vet this morning. I am frustrated that I do not know specifically what was wrong with her, but I do believe that it had something to do with her egg production. Thank you all and sorry for the bad news.

Brian

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:I'm so sorry... [​IMG] I would do a necropsy to see if it was eggs or infection. If you really want to know, that is. But the ones that I've had that had abdomens that felt like big water balloons were just that... full of fluid. So much so that their organs were pushed up into their chest cavity. [​IMG] I don't know that there's anything you could have done for her, so don't feel bad.

9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm sorry for your loss and understand your frustration.At least she is not in pain, and went in a loving environment. [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

[​IMG] So sorry!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by