Swollen breast..don't know what it could be!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobby d, Jul 27, 2010.

1. bobby d

bobby d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have a BLRW pullet with a swollen breast. It doesn't seem to be bothering her or have any other issues, it's just very noticable. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Or what I can do to get the swelling to go down? I would really appreciate the advice and help!! Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If it's a big lump on the right side, it's her crop, and it's perfectly natural. She's simply had a big meal. [​IMG] It will go down while she sleeps tonight.

3. I was a bit worried the first time I saw this in a chick, too! But like PunkinPeep said, it's just a big meal in her crop. She's probably a happy girl!

4. bobby d

bobby d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    It is mostly on her right side and that is what I thought as well, however, it has looked like that for the past couple of days. I noticed it Sunday afternoon. That is why I'm starting to get concerned. I might just give it a couple more days.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:If you think it isn't going down at night, then you need to make sure to withdraw her food overnight and check her before she eats, first thing in the morning. You might just be noticing her after she eats.

If it's still large first thing in the morning, it could be impacted, and then you might need to take further action to help her digest her food and keep it from souring.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    It sounds like she may have an impacted crop if its been like this for a while. If it doesnt go down overnight you know its an impacted crop. Do you know how to fix it?

7. bobby d

bobby d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    Ok I will do that. Now if it is impacted how do I help her?

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Mix a little bit of olive oil and water together in a small container, ( just a little bit, but make sure its got the 'oily' feel to it )

take a small syringe and give it to her by mouth. Don't stick the syringe IN her mouth but just squirt a little bit in her mouth at the tip of

her beak and she will swollow it. Next gently (VERY GENTLY) masage her crop, don't push on it alot though because you don't want her

throwing it up. Most the time you can feel the food in her crop breaking up after masaging it for a minute. After your done with that let

her be, and check it in the morning, You may have to do this for a couple days. Good luck!!

9. bobby d

bobby d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    Awesome!! Thank you for the help. I'm going to see what she looks like in the morning. If there's no change then I will do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by