1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen breast on pullet, already lost one.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meeshell, Oct 10, 2013.

1. meeshell

meeshell New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Hello,

We had 2 young Sussex, one which just suddenly died a couple days ago. The other one is lethargic, not eating or drinking, and has a huge sack on her breast that feels like it's filled with fluid. We have no idea what is going on, but are afraid it might spread to the other chickens.... please help. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know where the crop is on your chickens--it's in the right upper chest just below the neck. Is this the area that is fluid-filled or could it be a ruptured air sac? Crops can become hard and impacted with grass or foods that can get stuck, and they can also get a fungal infection called sour crop which is a balloon-like squishy crop. Do your chickens get grit or are they free ranged? A ruptured air sac is called subcutaneous emphysema and is the result usually of an injury to the chest or another part of the body. Air leaks under the skin, and sometimes may need to be deflated with a needle and syringe.

3. meeshell

meeshell New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks for replying! Our chickens get organic feed and free range about 3+ hours a day with outside access all the time besides at night. We have not gotten them grit yet. I just felt around and also tried to see if I smelled anything sour coming from her mouth, but smelled nothing. I think I'm going to try and 'vomit' her and keep her inside away from the others. I wasn't sure if there was any disease that could cause this that could spread?? it was really weird that her sister died earlier this week and now she's sick.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A lot of advice on sour crop says to "vomit" the chicken, but this can be very dangerous. There is always a risk of aspiration (choking.) If you can get Medistatin online, it is the same medicine as Nystatin which is a great drug for sour crop only available by prescription.http://www.jedds.com/-strse-651/MEDISTATIN-100-g-(Medpet)/Detail.bok

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by