Swollen cheek on chicken? Tumor?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickinator, Mar 24, 2018.

1. TheChickinator

TheChickinator Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I just saw it for the first time on one our chickens this morning. Other chickens don't appear to have anything similar, but we're going to do a more thorough inspection this afternoon.

She's acting normal. Eating and drinking fine. She's a little over a year old.

We have around 25 chickens, so there's no telling how long she's looked like that and we just may not have noticed it sooner. It's hard to tell in the picture because it's a little blurry, but the left side of that lump is whitish-light bluish in color.

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    Anyone?

3. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Is that swelling completely round like a ball, or is the flap forward in the photo?

4. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    It's a round bulge

5. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I have not. First guess would be that she was pecked. Is that her wattle?

6. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Is there any odor around her head?

7. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    The photo is a bit blurry. It looks like atick or small nodule to the right of it?

8. BlackOrpingtons

BlackOrpingtons In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2017
    Conyers, GA
    One of my Buff Orpingtons has the exact same thing. I *think* it's an ear infection but I'm not entirely sure.

9. BlackOrpingtons

BlackOrpingtons In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2017
    Conyers, GA
    The texture of the lump is very similar to the texture of the swelling of Swollen Head Syndrome, which a couple of my birds had and got over a while ago.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It appears that her earlobe is swollen, which can be a sign of infection. I would get QTips, some hydrogen peroxide to apply a few drops into her ear, and after cleaning them with the QTips gently, apply some triple antibiotic (neosporin) ointment into the ear canal. Mites or bacteria, or respiratory infections can cause ear infections. Swollen head syndrome is pretty rare, but sinus infection from mycoplasma (MG) or coryza, among other infections, can be more common, and can cause swelling of the face or eyelid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: