Swollen cheek, runny nose MG? need advice

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AHappychick, Jun 22, 2011.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    hey guys I am up at Frugals farm in VT and they have a tom with swollen cheeks/face and runny nose and a hen with just a runy nose. I just dont know if like chickens turkeys get mg and other CRD or if this is more treatable. depending on treatment and severity we will either cull immediatly or treat with meds, I just dont have access to much internet at the moment and a search on BYC came up as too broad [​IMG]

I will be able to log back on in a few hours could some one just tell me how to proceed and if there is a reasonable treatment and also what is it I am dealing with?

thanks!

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for posting this information, especially the link. I didn't know that Tylan 200 was better than Tylan 50, but I guess I should have. What's the dosage Steve? Does it depend on the weight of the turkey?

Thanks

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Ok great. That's what I read but wasn't sure.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thanks Steve so will this go away forever after tylan treatment or will it keep coming back and spread to others? we can treat by tomorrow thank you for the info [​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

8. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Take your sick turkey to a state lab to find out what is wrong. Then decide if you need to cull. Treating the symptoms does not end deseases like MG. The bird will always be a carrier. Many very serious disease have simular symptoms. Two months ago we had a case of Exotic Newcastle in Mexico, a hour from me. My birds were tested two weeks ago from CDC. So far no problem.

When people treat the symptoms of unknown disease, they risk spreading disease to everyone. Even shipped eggs from birds that had MG will be spread to the flock. Maybe thats how you got it??

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

10. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Do you ship eggs? or are you trying to imply that somebody here on BYC has an infected flock?

Steve

I thought I was very clear. Read it again if you do not understand or I can give you a link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by