1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rogerrooster, Dec 1, 2013.

1. rogerrooster

rogerrooster New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    I have a chick with what looks like fluid build up under skin. Affected areas ..head neck and body mostly near neck. She acts fine and healthy. Can anyone tell me whats going on? No other chicks are affected.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    When did you first notice this? How old is the chick? What does the swelling feel like (air-like, hard, watery, etc.)? Its possible that one of its air sacs ruptured, causing air to leak into the body. In this case, you can puncture the chick with a needle to let the air out, and it should recover in time.

3. southernBelle79

southernBelle79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Is it just a full crop?? Look that up. The first time I let my chicks eat grass, I panicked because I didn't know anything about a full crop.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I agree that it could be a ruptured air sac from an injury to the neck. Thisis called subcutaneous emphysema, and can be deflated by using an 18gauge needle--you can squeeze out the air or use a syringe connected to a needle to aspirate. It may reaccumulate, and this can be repeated.

5. rogerrooster

rogerrooster New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Thanks I will give the needle a try

6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

X2 and welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by