Swollen Chicken- Like a water balloon

Gingerweavers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Our RIR has a very swollen backside. Her actual anus isn't swollen, but underneath is swollen like a water balloon. She is a bit lethargic. I thought I saw that she was trying to lay an egg yesterday but she never did. I gloved up and felt around for an egg, but didn't feel one. Any ideas? No worms/redness as I've read on other threads.

Internal laying, egg peritonitis, ascites, maybe all of the above. Could also be ascites (fluid buildup in the body cavities) due to heart or liver problems or cancers/tumors. The fluid can be drained off periodically to make her more comfortable and extend her life but in general there is nothing that can be done for the underlying causes of this condition and the end result is usually the same. They often become lethargic because their circulation is compromised due to the fluid accumulation but sometimes also due to infection. Sorry, wish I had more hopeful news. We've had several with this condition over the years.

It may be ascites or water belly, but it could also be from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Ascites can occur from liver or heart disease as well as from internal laying or EYP. There is not a good outcome from any othe these diseases unfortunately. Here is some info: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...s_of_poultry/ascites_syndrome_in_poultry.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/79443/tell-me-about-your-internal-layers/90#post_6235380

Sorry that was interrupted while posting with a phone call; it's good that others beat me to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your information and resources. I'm very sad, but honestly, I'm not one to prolong the inevitable or make her suffer. Our local vets "don't do chickens." Is there a humane way to euthanize her? This is our first experience with a sick bird. We had one Araucana mysteriously die, but that was months ago.

Again, it's not that I don't have compassion for her. But I run a small daycare and I don't want to subject our Rosie to any discomfort nor the kids/parents to a sick chicken. Where do we go from here?

Thanks again :(

I understand completely. And like you said, treatment of conditions like this does only prolong the inevitable.

As far as putting her down, most people will say that breaking the neck or off with the head with a sharp ax is the quickest. I don't that because I am a weenie and I don't put my own birds down, I have an avian vet that will do it.

If you have an exotic's vet in your area they might be willing to help. I know my vet gives them a quick dose of inhaled anesthetic to put them to sleep and then euthanizes them, it's fast and easy on the bird.

Hi
I have 3 chicks about 6 weeks old The little black one is swollen like a balloon she is eating and drinking but and pooping she isn't moving like the other 2 I guess it's from her very large swollen belly. How do I treat

Hi
I have 3 chicks about 6 weeks old The little black one is swollen like a balloon she is eating and drinking but and pooping she isn't moving like the other 2 I guess it's from her very large swollen belly. How do I treat
Welcome to BYC. Does it look like she has air under her skin from a leaking air sac? That can happen if she was injured. Is the swelling all over, or is it only in one area? Do you know where her crops is, and could it be a full crop?

Back
Top Bottom