1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen Chicken - No fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Steeler Chick, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Steeler Chick

Steeler Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    I have a four year old Buff Orpington that has a very swollen abdomen. She is so swollen when she poops a hernia of sorts comes out her vent. Her poop color seems normal maybe a little too much white. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. The only reason I knew she had a problem was I picked her up to check for mites.

So I took her in the house to drain the fluid in her and I couldn't get anything out of her i poked her and left the needle in so it could drain but nothing. Tried several spots and even used a very small Gauge needle nothing.

Really need some help. Thanks in advance.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Several things could be wrong, in my experience----- mine was a lot heavier than the other hens---and only got heavier. To the point she could not walk good. I took her out of her miseries. Extreme egg bound!! Had not layed a egg in a long time but they developed inside.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It almost sounds like she is having a prolapsed cloaca. Sometimes the red tissue will come out of the vent with straining and go back inside when they have relaxed. Sometimes it gets stuck outside, and then is a problem. She may be an internal layer or have salpingitis, common problems of the reproductive tract in hens over 2. There is not a lot that can be done...antibiotics such as Baytril might help some, but it eventually kills them.

4. Steeler Chick

Jun 22, 2012
    Thank you both for your responses. I think both of you are correct. I came home tonight she is having a hard time breathing. I don't see how I'm going to get her to recover. Thanks for your advice. My husband will have to help me I can't put her down. How do you normally do it?

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sorry, I always hate to loose one, but that comes with raising them. I just wring their neck---got use to that when my Mother said ---catch that rooster and wring its neck----over 50 years ago!!!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she suffering? You said she is eating and drinking, and acting normal. Is she still having labored breathing? Casportpony has some good pictures on how to drain a hen's belly with fluid, and she uses a 16 or 18 gauge needle. You may not have gotten fluid if you didn't needle the right spot. There is nothing wrong with asking someone who feels more comfortable to put her down if she is suffering. I have finally started doing it myself, since my chickens are now older and I have had to put a couple down lately. I watched a good YouTube video on how to humanely butcher a chicken where the man tied the feet togther and hung the bird from a tree limb. He said to use a very sharp knife and cut the jugular. The chicken looked calm before the cut and dies very quickly. A killing cone is also good to use. The thing is to do it quickly, however it is done.

7. Steeler Chick

Jun 22, 2012
    She is still having labored breathing as of last night. Making a honking sound. She only at a small amount last night and basically no water. She seems distressed. I have drained several chickens in the past with great results. I haven't checked on her this morning yet.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you can afford a necropsy, I urge you to take this chicken in for one to determine exactly why she's having these problems. It could easily have consequences for your entire flock. Although internal laying is a common problem in layers as they grow older, there are other causes for the symptoms this hen is displaying.

When I had a young rooster develop breathing problems, I euthanized him and took his body to an agricultural lab to have a necropsy. In a few hours, I got the phone call that informed me that the rooster had tumors all over his organs, including heart, liver, and kidneys. The liver weighed two pounds with the tumors! It created a heavy bulge like you are describing. I was also given news that has implications for my entire flock. He had lymphotic leucosis, a very contagious avian leukemia. This information, while initially devastating, has enabled me to more effectively and safely manage my flock to maximize well being and resistance to the disease.

PM me if you wish to know how I euthanize my terminal cases. It's not the same as others, but I don't wish to start a debate here about methods.

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    As said above, but if you can not afford or do not want to spend the time and money, then I would encourage you to preform one yourself to see if you can learn from it. Good Luck!

10. Steeler Chick

Jun 22, 2012
    She is still having labored breathing as of last night. Making a honking sound. She only at a small amount last night and basically no water. She seems distressed. I have drained several chickens in the past with great results. I haven't checked on her this morning yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by