Swollen Chin flaps with pic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sector1, Feb 18, 2009.

1. sector1

sector1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

She has had this condition for several days I thought it was just a mood thing. She eats and drinks fine, no strange poo going on. Any ideas on what this is or if I should ignore it? Or do they have to be milked?[​IMG]
    Thanks.
    P.S. if anyone remembers a few weeks ago I had a dog attack, one killed the other(that I now refer to as Half chicken) has made a great recovery. The others stopped picking at her after I used to large screens from my windows and made a lean-to. That way she could still interact and be safe. It worked great.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say that there is an infection somewhere in the face. I would remove her from the other and start antibiotics right away.

3. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    This looks just like a form of Avian Influenza, however, I would get the bird on a supplement containing Biotin right away. If you get no response in about 2-3 days I would definitely get a blood test.

DEFINITELY separate this bird from your flock and report if any others display symptoms. Don't panic just yet, but take every precaution just in case.

4. sector1

Oct 16, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, I have all of them on antibiotics. Day 3 shows no notice in reduction of swelling. No spreading to the others yet either.

5. sector1

Oct 16, 2007
    I have had them on antibiotics for a week and the swelling is gone and all seems good. Still dont know for sure what it was. THank you everyone, I dont know if I would have any chickens at all if not for you guys.

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Good save!

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O dear. Glad she is better [​IMG]

8. sector1

Oct 16, 2007
    Thank you. This week they have black chicks for sale, so I thought thta if I had half white and half black chicks, that it wou;d be like V s V in the mad comic boks. Well it'll make me smile so I going for it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by