Swollen, closed eyes. Not eating. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barkerg67, Jul 29, 2013.

1. barkerg67

barkerg67 Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    We just got 4 baby girls yesterday, that were only a day old. This is our first time with chickens so we aren't too sure what to do. They are Sussex chicks, and one has two bulging swollen eyes, she doesn't eat or drink. We tried giving her a few drops of water which she took, are wiping her eyes with water a few times. But I'm worried I'm going to lose her, can anyone help me out??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been pecked? I'not sure why else she would have swollen eyes at one day old. She needs to have her beak dipped in water to drink. Get some chick saver electrolytes with vitamins at the feed store. For now you can put a little sugar in water and try to make her drink.

3. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Songster

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    How are the other chicks?

4. barkerg67

barkerg67 Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    They are perfectly healthy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have been googling and researching about your chick, since I once read a post on here about this same issue before. There are numerous threads where people never seem to figure out the problem. Many say the eye is clouded over, the chicks are blind, and here is one thread where they said it was glaucoma. Just click to read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37361/newly-hatched-chick-with-bulging-eye

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. barkerg67

barkerg67 Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: