Swollen crop in 1 week old silkie chick

Ericadeer

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
Hi there! I am ever so thankful to have found this site and all if you!!
I am hoping someone has some more insight for me as I’m a first time chick mommy.
I have a 1 week old silkie who has a pretty big crop. I felt it before lights out last night and then again first thing this morning. Last night it was probably the size of a ping pong ball and soft like a water balloon. It decreased significantly in size overnight down to the size of a marble (basically the size of the other chicks’ crops when full). It’s also doughy feeling, not hard. I felt the other chicks’ crops this morning as well and they were pretty much non existent and empty. So I’m wondering what could be going on with her ‍♀️. She is eating and drinking and I made sure to see her poop last night and it looked normal. This morning I saw her have a loose stool puddle the color of peanut butter, and then a nice big healthy poop after eating. I am treating them with corid right now after losing a baby to what I think was cocci. But none of the others have this going on so I’m wondering what I can do for her! She’s a tad more relaxed/sleepy than the others but still active. Any advice for me? Ideas? Should I try the coconut oil and massage as if it was sour crop?

Thank you guys so much ❤️❤️❤️

Last edited:
Yea she is pooping and it looks normal. Vent is clear. They are in the bottom of a chicken coop so they have a lot of room. The warming pads are just at one end so they are cool/room temp most of the time while eating and pecking around, etc. no I totally don’t need to give scrambled eggs I just wondering if that was helpful. Sorry that’s totally an oxy moron... What I meant by “firm when empty” is that during the day when full of food and water it is doughy feeling, but after removing food all night the crop was smaller and firm in the morning....But obviously not empty because something is in there still as it’s the size of a marble. Did that make sense? Thanks again!!

Sounds awesome. I can’t thank you enough for your time and help!!! I will keep you updated on our progress! Really Hoping to save this little one she’s a sweetheart!

So I hung out with her a lot today and syringe fed her some coconut oil and some probiotic/electrolyte water and massaged and massaged. It went down SO much! It got down to just basically a droopy sack feeling thing and not firm anymore. She pooped a bunch and it the crop still feels more obvious than the others but could that just be her anatomy? Does that ever happen? She was just devastated being separated from the other chicks and I felt like it was causing her so much stress it may make matters even worse. I let her go back with the others and she seems happy as can be. I will withhold food again tonight and see how it feels in the morning. Hopefully I got things moving. Should I withhold water as well tonight?

Last night it was probably the size of a ping pong ball and soft like a water balloon. It decreased significantly in size overnight down to the size of a marble (basically the size of the other chicks’ crops when full). It’s also doughy feeling, not hard. I felt the other chicks’ crops this morning as well and they were pretty much non existent and empty.

This morning I saw her have a loose stool puddle the color of peanut butter, and then a nice big healthy poop after eating. I am treating them with corid right now after losing a baby to what I think was cocci.
What do you feed including treats?
Do you provide chick grit free choice?

Yes, I would give her a little coconut oil - refrigerate it and cut into small chunks, see if she will eat that on her own - syringing oil and fluids can be tricky and they can choke.
Lightly massage the crop, the re-check it first thing in the morning.

If you have poop photos those are sometimes helpful. Peanut butter poop sounds like Cecal poop to me which would be normal. Chickens have 2 type of poop (cecal and "normal") https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Thanks so much for your reply! I only feed medicated chick starter, the corid treatment in the water, and I introduced chick grit just a couple days ago when I started noticing the large crop. I chopped up some coconut oil and she wouldn’t really peck at it but when I would press against her beak she would open and take some in. I massaged for about 5 min so we’ll see what happens! I will watch for another poop and post a pic of it. It definitely could have been just Cecal poop, as the one after it was totally normal. And she’s still eating away! Does it sound like sour crop?

This is a picture of her poop just now. Her crop isn’t huge yet today but hard to tell if it’s gone down at all either. It definitely feels squishier than the others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 9
I withheld food last night and her crop was firm and big still. It wasn’t doughy like it is when she has eaten. Shoot, what next?

I withheld food last night and her crop was firm and big still. It wasn’t doughy like it is when she has eaten. Shoot, what next?
What are you using for bedding?
What's your brooder setup like - do they have access to food very early - is it possible she ate and drank before you checked her?
I would place her on puppy pads so she doesn't eat any bedding. Provide chick grit free choice, water and give her more coconut oil. Gently massage the crop. Do this a couple of times a day. I would probably limit her food too for the day, she won't starve and if the crop is not emptying, no sense adding to what's in there. If you give any food, make it into a wet mash (feed+water) I would make it fairly watery.

Back
Top Bottom