swollen crop? right side only..

luckydawn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
Please help. I've raised a couple flocks before but I have 6 babies, 2 breeds, and they all have what appears to be swollen crops but just on the right side. This happened since I started putting them outside 4 days ago. They scratch and roll in the dirt but are given feed and water, of course. Any ideas? I thought it was just 1 and at first i thought it was a wing problem and then today the worst one was lopsided from it. Help... they are about a month or 6 weeks old and way too small for grit...

The crop is arranged on the right side of center so probably they are just well fed. To be sure check them first thing in the morning before they get to food. if it is still full then holler back but I'll bet they will be emptied by then and all is well. let us know how it goes

Sounds like they've been gorging themselves on whatever they've found outside.

I give grit to chicks immediately. At 6 weeks old, and as they have access to whatever they're finding outdoors, you definitely should have them on grit if you don't have rocky soil/ground for them to source their own grit from.

The crop is arranged on the right side of center so probably they are just well fed. To be sure check them first thing in the morning before they get to food. if it is still full then holler back but I'll bet they will be emptied by then and all is well. let us know how it goes
You were right. Everything looked fine this morning.

They must have grit if they are eating anything other than chick starter. I provide chick grit to my chicks while they are in the brooder, starting when they are about 3 days old. About 3 days after that I start giving them meal worms. They cannot digest their food without grit.

Back
Top Bottom