Swollen Crop, won't eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CovertChicken, Jul 17, 2011.

1. CovertChicken

CovertChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    I have a hen that has been to the vet, had an x-ray and is on antibiotics. I was told that she has no obstruction, but has a profound amount of bacteria in her crop. She is about a third of the way through her antibiotics, will drink water but is not interested in eating food. She is stable at the time but she will get weaker as time progresses. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,

Brian

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Brian, I am a newbie so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer. I know yogurt is suggested frequently, so you might try some. Also, this will bump your thread. [​IMG]

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Need alot more info please, but yes yogurt is a good for the flora and fauna of the gut........

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have you checked the threads linked on the FAQ page?

5. CovertChicken

Dec 12, 2010
    I was told by the vet that the crop is swollen due to infection and that this is slowing the function of the digestion and flow of the crop. I am frustrated that the antibiotics are not working faster.

6. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I am not a vet, nor do I want to undermine his/her decision to give antibiotics, but I think that plain unsweetened yogurt with active cultures such as Dannon would help her crop and digestion. Antibiotics, I think destroy the good bacteria.
    What did the x-ray reveal?

7. CovertChicken

Dec 12, 2010
    Well, I have better news. My chicken is doing better. We changed motility drugs and antibiotics and she is doing better. The infection in her crop was not allowing food to pass. We are force feeding her, as she sttill doesn't have an appetite, but I think she will pull through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by