Swollen Crop?????

Chica Lady

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Taylors, SC
I noticed that some of the chicks (3 weeks on this coming weds) have enlarged crops, but they are not hard. they are soft and squishy. I did run out of food this weekend, and have been feeding them cruched rice krisipies, bread crumbs, and cornmeal. they have been drinking fine. I did notice that the water bottle was empty today, as soon as i filled it, they went nuts. I am sure they all drank. As I was checking them, one of them did have VERY WATERY diarrhea. After seeing the diarrhea, I did check all the vents and they are all clean. I am just wondering if this is ok or is it something i need to worry about?

What breed are they? Also I know that after a chick just eats and they ate a lot a lump will form there because it is food waaiting to go into the system. As the digestive system does not work very fast on chickens. Whatever you do, DO NOT push down on the lumps because it can cause them to vomit which can cause worst problems.

Mine are only about 2 weeks and they all look like they have giant goiters unless their necks are up. But I think in my case it's just the adult feathers pushing out their fluff and making them look deformed. The 12 of them have gotten probably 20 mealworms in the last 3 days but other than that are on chick starter. Grit scattered for scratching.

(I know this doesn't answer your question Chica and I'm not trying to hijack your topic but I figured my weirdness was close enough that I'd just jump in for any comments)

What breed are they? Also I know that after a chick just eats and they ate a lot a lump will form there because it is food waaiting to go into the system. As the digestive system does not work very fast on chickens. Whatever you do, DO NOT push down on the lumps because it can cause them to vomit which can cause worst problems.
I was told they were Buffs and one that lays blue eggs. I think he got the chicks mixed up. I don't know what breed. I have attached pics of the chicks.

this is the one that will lay blue eggs. it is also in the pic above.

Mine are only about 2 weeks and they all look like they have giant goiters unless their necks are up. But I think in my case it's just the adult feathers pushing out their fluff and making them look deformed. The 12 of them have gotten probably 20 mealworms in the last 3 days but other than that are on chick starter. Grit scattered for scratching.

(I know this doesn't answer your question Chica and I'm not trying to hijack your topic but I figured my weirdness was close enough that I'd just jump in for any comments)

EeyoreD, no problem. If we are all having the same problem, then we could use the same advice.

Last edited:

This may be what it is. I first discovered it when my husband was petting the front of the neck, and I saw bubbles come up into the chicks mouth. (the one that lays the blue eggs) From now on, if I feel that, I will not pet them on the front, just the back.

The one in the close up is an Ameraucana and yes it will lay a blue or green shade egg. Buff Orphingtons do not lay blue eggs.

If they are not eating starter feed they need grit but I haven't given grit to chicks this young. The soft squishy crop could be sour crop you can smell their mouths to confirm. I would get starter feed asap.

ok, so the one chick is an amercauna, but i dont know what the rest of them are. Runt's feathers are coming in a yellowish color, but the other 5 are coming in as different shades of brown. I have 7 total.

1 - Americauna
1 - yellow
5 - shades of brown
-------
7 total

and i dont plan on petting (massaging) the crop area when they feel like that. I just wasnt sure. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.....lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom