Swollen Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyfitz100, Aug 17, 2013.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have never had chickens before -- our chicks are 5 and 6 weeks old, and eating starter feed. Frankly, their looks change every day. Today it looks like all 4 of them are a little lumpy in the chest, on their right side. Is this normal? I looked at an anatomy chart and it looks like maybe where the crop is. It's not crazy big, but enough that I noticed. We have recently started giving them treats like bread and grapes and they LOVE it, but should I be doing something else? Or am I giving them too much?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    You're seeing their crops with food in them. [​IMG] It sounds like you're doing everything great! Since they're eating treats make sure they have some chick grit available (if you don't already).

3. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Okay, great! Dumb question, probably, but where do I put it? In a dish or sprinkle it somewhere? Do they know they need it?

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I put mine in a section of the feeder trough and also have it available in a separate bowl. I also put piles around the run so they can find it while pecking around if they need it. You can put it in a dish or some kind of container -- or even mix it in with their food. They know they need grit and tend to get it on their own if they free range. It's just good to have it available to help them digest their food once they start eating other things.

5. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Okay, I'll put some out for them now -- thanks so much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by