swollen crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Backyardighens, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Backyardighens

Backyardighens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    My bantam buff brahma has a swollen crop, and I massaged it for her, and it seemed to go down without any vomiting...normal?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes, very normal. Sometimes they just eat too much and it swells up. The crop should naturally go down over night. Next time, give her at least 24 hours to do it on her own!

3. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    I didn't see her yesterday really, so I wasn't sure how long it had been swollen, better safe then sorry I suppose.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. Always give them overnight and see if it empties on it's own. If so, everything is working as it should. Sometimes my standard size birds come in looking like they've swallowed a baseball after a good day spent foraging on the pasture, completely normal. A bird that still has a full crop first thing in the morning is one that has a problem.

5. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Like I said, I haven't seen her since wednesday evening, so it very well could have been over 24 hours...

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I didn't see your post before I posted, that's what I get for not hitting "preview". If your birds crop did empty after you massaged it then hopefully she's fine and won't have any further problems.

7. Backyardighens

Aug 2, 2013
    Maine
    Good to know....I was expecting something big to happen, but it was anti-climatic lol

8. iwanaplae2

iwanaplae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Salem OR
    This has been very helpful for me too. My girls are only 9wks old. And today was the first time I had ever actually seen their crop full! Up til now I hadn't even been able to find it lol. I know they ate a lot today. They came out of the coop this morning RUNNING to the feed like they were starving to death! And today was yogurt day... I usually give them a pint once a week, and the 4 of them rarely finish it. But tonight when I went to put them up for the night I noticed it was gone, and all 4 of their crops were full. I managed to get ahold of my barred rock. Her crop felt like a water ballon full of cooked oatmeal. I'm guessing this is normal? They have plenty access to grit from the chick feed, dirt in the run, and chick grit in the coop. (I give them extra grit because I also give them lots of fresh produce). I will try not to worry til I see them in the morning. Hopefully it will have gone down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by