Swollen duck leg

Debrina13

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2021
My 1 year old Blue Swedish is limping and her foot is swollen. I do not see any wounds or signs of bumble foot. Any advice is appreciated. Pictures included

Attachments

• 6559267A-9A35-4996-8C10-41B447E602D6.jpeg
    6559267A-9A35-4996-8C10-41B447E602D6.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 24
  • E3CE5438-0C01-4DB7-A5CC-E9237BD0E0BF.jpeg
    E3CE5438-0C01-4DB7-A5CC-E9237BD0E0BF.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 40F2BFD4-6D8A-42CE-A055-E5CAA664C245.jpeg
    40F2BFD4-6D8A-42CE-A055-E5CAA664C245.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 4
Is she able to apply any weight to the foot?
If you gently palpate and bend the leg do you feel any broken bones, or hear any cracking/popping?

If you say yes to both of the last questions, I would suggest taking her to a veterinarian, but if you do not feel any broken bones it is likely she received some soft tissue damage (sprains, strains) which can occur due to over mating, by tripping, or by getting their feet caught in objects (wire, rope, twine, etc).

The prognosis for these injures is very good and most birds will recover after a week or two. To enhance the healing process, you may try an limit her movement for the proceeding week to help reduce further reinjury of the area. Letting her swim in cool water daily, occasionally with the addition of Epsom salts will help at reducing some of the inflammation. NSAIDs, such as aspirin, carprofen, and meloxicam can be used to help reduce inflammation. The aspirin dose in birds is 5mg per kilogram of weight.

Good Morning,
no she is not able to apply any weight to the foot, she tries but just limps around.
I do not hear any cracking or popping.
I have been limiting her her movement and only letting her out to for about 15 minutes a day to socialize with her friends :) I have 4 ducks total. (1 Drake and 3 Females)
this has been going on for about a week now and I have been soaking her foot in Epsom salt for a good 15 min every night.
is meloxicam and Carprofen something I need from a vet?

Update:
it has been over a month and two vet visits later and she is not doing any better :(
we had X-rays done and it is not broken.
spent a ton of money on Ozone Therapy ( which was a ozonated infused oil I was given to massage her foot with) Cold Laser Therapy ( which seemed to help for a few days and she was back to limping.
Her foot was hot and we were prescribed antibiotics that she finished. She started showing some improvement and we started to let her out to free range with the rest of her flock and let her sleep in the house with everyone. The foot never looked normal but was not as swollen and she seemed to walk around better but would sit to rest for long periods.
Last week it was super swollen again and she back in isolation and now has Wet Feather.
I never stopped the Ozone oil massages, I feel so bad for this girl.
has anyone else ever had this happen?

Back
Top Bottom