1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen Ear Lobe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa Jayne, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Lisa Jayne

Lisa Jayne New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    I have a Red Sex Link hen with what appears to be a swollen ear lobe. It has the consistency of a blister. The hen is not acting in any way abnormal and it doesn't appear to hurt her when it is touched. What could it be and how should I treat her?

A huge thanks to whomever may offer some advice.

Lisa Jayne

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Can you post photos?

Check for any signs of lice/mites that may be in the ear.
    Look for any small wounds that could be from an insect bite or another chicken pecking her in the ear.

Any signs of watery eyes or discharge from nostrils?

3. SuzCor

SuzCor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Gilmer, Texas
    [​IMG]

We also have a 16 wk old chicken with a swollen earlobe. Looks like another chicken could have pecked on her, they don't have any mites that I can see. What kind of treatment should I give her or just leave it alone and let it heal on its own.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep an eye on that.

If you want you can put some plain neosprin on it.

It looks like an injury which usually heals on it's own, but if there is swelling, then it may be starting to get infected.
    Watch for more swelling, discharge, pus, oozing or odors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by