Swollen ear/ weeping eye/ bump above eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heather74, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Heather74

Heather74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Please see screen shot for description.
    This hen is only 1 1/2 years old a d her flockmates all seem fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Heather74

Sep 27, 2015
    *****UPDATE*****

Got a picture of the inside of her ear. It looks like blood, not puss. Not dripping blood,but I believe scabbing and a bit raw still.

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    To me it looks possibly like she was pecked in the eye and ear. Does she have any sneezing or wheezing? What type of weather is there where you live--hot or cold? Pox might be the problem if mosquitoes are out. Clean her eye with saline, and apply either Terramycin, bacitracin, or plain neosporin ointment to her eye twice a day. She looks like she may be molting, so I would give her some extra protein such as chopped egg or tuna, in addition to her usual layer or all flock feed.

4. Heather74

Sep 27, 2015

I live in SE Georgia, so normally a very warm/wet environment. Lately we've had a cold snap (until today) so not many mosquitoes lately.
    No wheezing/rattling/drainage.
    She is also the lowest on the pecking order.

Thank you so much for the help.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. She might need to be in a dog crate or pen with her own food and water if she is getting picked on, but you can just watch out that she is not bullied. Is her feather loss from pecking or from molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by