Swollen Ear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjcochrane1, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cjcochrane1

cjcochrane1 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    One of my chickens has a swollen ear it it is the size of a large pea. it is not causing her any bother- can anyone tell me how its happened and how i can treat it

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Can you see any injury to it?

Could be she was pecked by another chicken, bitten by a spider or bug, or scratched it?

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Did it appear suddenly or have you noticed it getting larger over time?
    Can you post a picture?

[​IMG]

4. cjcochrane1

cjcochrane1 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    She does not appear to have any injury and it is not causing her any discomfort. i have had a prod about it and it is hard to the touch but she does not react when it is touched. i only noticed it the other day and it is not getting and better or worse since then. it has only developed in the last 2 weeks but as to when it did develop i cannot be certain as it was dark when i leave in the morning and dark when i returned. if it was causing her any bother i would take her to the vet but she is not bothered by it

i have tried attaching an image but it wont let me do it at the moment as i am just new to the site

i have 4 birds in total of which 2 are new birds that were introduced about 3 weeks ago.

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You can email me the picture and I can post it for you.

6. cjcochrane1

cjcochrane1 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

7. cjcochrane1

cjcochrane1 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    managed to get my image uploaded.

As you can see it appears to be her ear /ear lobe thats ballooned. i have checked her again today and she is eating and drinking ok.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could be somekind of infection going on, theres a reason it's swollen. Does it feel hard to touch or squishy like theres fluid in it?

9. cjcochrane1

cjcochrane1 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    It feels hard to touch.

can someone please tell me if it is definately her ear/ear lobe that is swollen - and if i take her to the vet what kind of treatment would i expect him/her to offer.

and continued thanks for the help

chris

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think chickens have ear lobes. Is her wattles swollen? she could have an infection which would need to be treated with an antibiotic, or she could have an abcess, which would need to be lanced, and she'd have to be on an antibiotic. It's really hard to say but if you can get a vet to see her you might catch it before she is really sick with what ever this is and she'll have a better chance of recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by