1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen eye after watery episodes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmalo2907, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jmalo2907

jmalo2907 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    I have some 10 week old hens that i purchased to replace some that were killed by an unknown predator and now am having more troubles of a different kind. A couple days after having them in the coop i noticed watering eyes and running noses on a few of the hens with even a couple keeping one eye shut.
    I started using a warm paper towel to clean the eye and also started them on oxytetracycline with orange Gatorade for electrolytes. Even put a couple of heat lamps to keep them more comfortable during the cold weather. Today a couple seem to be doing better but also others are much worse with now swollen eyes. They are eating and drinking and their droppings seem to be normal.
    Any thoughts or suggestions on this and sorry for the new thread it's just so hard to filter through all the advice on the other ones.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope that you have quarantined these new chickens from your others and have made sure not to spread the respiratory disease that they have brought into your flock. Frankly, I would cull these chickens or return them to the seller. They sound like they are sick with MG/CRD or coryza which is passed by a carrier. Your other chickens will become sick within days of being near these chickens. It's sad to cull, but you don't want to have a diseased flock, since MG spreads through the hatching eggs. MG and coryza are never cured, although antibiotics can help with symptoms, but the disease can come back at any time, and will infect any new chickens. Here is a good link to read on diseases:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by