Swollen eye, bump between beak and eye. Help!

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
What is going on with my girl and how do I treat it? Need to go to TSC in a little bit so can get stuff then but need to know what and how. Was fine yesterday and saw this today. See no nasal discharge, no sneezing that I have heard

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_075626275.jpg
    IMG_20210921_075626275.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 9
I see some irritation around the eye, it may be from her scratching it. There's some swelling of the sinus as well.

I would get some saline, flush the eye, press to see if any pus comes out and put some Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. If you can't find Terramycin, then you can use original Neosporin.

Have you checked her for lice/mites, any other symptoms like wheezing, sneezing? Look inside her beak for canker or lesions.

Have you added any new birds recently?

I see some irritation around the eye, it may be from her scratching it. There's some swelling of the sinus as well.

I would get some saline, flush the eye, press to see if any pus comes out and put some Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. If you can't find Terramycin, then you can use original Neosporin.

Have you checked her for lice/mites, any other symptoms like wheezing, sneezing? Look inside her beak for canker or lesions.

Have you added any new birds recently?
Thanks. I haven't gone in the coop to try to catch her yet since I noticed when out with my puppy. No sneezing seen, no sign of mites or lice that I have noticed ( was checking a different one yesterday at vent area to see if close to laying and saw nothing). Haven't added any birds. Got mine as day olds and they are 23 weeks.

Have you seen any illness before? Is the area soft or hard? When you press on it, do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye? If not, I would watch it and look for any sneezing, lethargy, or bubbles in the eye which could be a sinus infection. Other than that I don’t know what to buy for her at TSC. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently that might have carried a respiratory disease without showing symptoms?

Sorry I was posting after @Wyorp Rock already posted. Using the saline and Terramycin are pretty standard for any eye problem or possible respiratory disease symptoms. MG or mycoplasma is one that can be common in some backyard flocks and cause a sinus infection. If symptoms get worse, you could order Tylosin to put in just her water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Hopefully, it won’t get any worse.

Sorry I was posting after @Wyorp Rock already posted. Using the saline and Terramycin are pretty standard for any eye problem or possible respiratory disease symptoms. MG or mycoplasma is one that can be common in some backyard flocks and cause a sinus infection. If symptoms get worse, you could order Tylosin to put in just her water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Hopefully, it won’t get any worse.
Thanks. She was fine last night. No other signs of illness. Others that came up to run sides seemed fine. I was out with my puppy and it was just me. If I leave the puppy he finds something to get into so couldn't go in and look yet. Will get stuff then check her. She is one of my more shy ones so harder to catch to check.

How often do I do saline and eye ointment? Just once a day? A few times a day? Just one time and see if it clears up?

I got the terramycin, but forgot the saline. I will run out later for the saline. I did catch her and pressed a bit on the lump and nothing came out. It felt more hard than squishy. There was no nasal discharge that I could see. Still do the saline and terramycin? Should I get the tylosin? Should I separate her? I worry about reintroduction and where to put her.

Go ahead and use the Terramycin. You can get saline later if there is eye drainage or gunk. I use human eye wash from Bausch and Lomb, about $4-5 at Walmart or Walgreens drugstores. I would get the Tylosin just to have if it is affordable. Tylan or tylosin is useful in respiratory infection and in enteritis in chickens. It is good to have around, since antibiotics are hard to come by in feed stores.
https://www.bausch.com/ecp/our-products/otc-ophthalmics/advanced-eye-relief-eye-wash

Go ahead and use the Terramycin. You can get saline later if there is eye drainage or gunk. I use human eye wash from Bausch and Lomb, about $4-5 at Walmart or Walgreens drugstores. I would get the Tylosin just to have if it is affordable. Tylan or tylosin is useful in respiratory infection and in enteritis in chickens. It is good to have around, since antibiotics are hard to come by in feed stores.
https://www.bausch.com/ecp/our-products/otc-ophthalmics/advanced-eye-relief-eye-wash
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom