1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

swollen eye, chick peeping in pain

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melilem, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    She is a 2 week old single tufted araucana, and on her untufted side her eye has swollen up like a chihuaha and she occasionally peeps loudly like she's in pain. When she was a day old, I noticed that eye looked squinty, like when you pull the skin below your temples to make 'chinese eyes', or like some crossbeaked chicks have. She is not crossbeak though- ALTHOUGH I have just noticed that she has a ridge down both sides of her beak that I have never seen on a chicken before. Before she was even a week old, she stopped opening that eye. Now this morning it just swelled right up, I tried to look in it but the swelling is so much that I cant see anything except a little bit of black eyeball (which appeared intact, best I could tell) and a lot of red swollen flesh around it. Some tears came out, or maybe it was runny clear pus? The other eye is fine, there is no crust or goo outside the eye (believe it or not). Other than the obvious peeps of pain, she doesnt appear sick (she is pretty active, eats and drinks, poops normal poop and preens herself) I think maybe she is actually a double tufted araucana with an ingrown tuft. So my question is, what do you think it is! What can I do for her? I am going to have to cull her tomorrow if I cant think of anything else to do... I feel like a meanie for letting her suffer all day.

2. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    Get some Terramycin oint from the feed store and apply to the eye it could just be irritated. Especially if there is no nasal discharge

3. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice, I'll try that...although I don't think she actually has it infected yet. I don't know if I can flush her eye, I guess theoretically a foreign object would fester up? Anyway, that's a great idea- and it gives me something to do besides panic [​IMG] Thanks Dedern.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you put some Neosporin with pain killer (the OTC stuff) on her eye? I'd hate to cull her if she is otherwise acting normal (eating, drinking, pooping, etc)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by