Swollen eye/face on oneside and snoring sound. HELP!*updated with pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undergroundchickens, Nov 27, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    HI, the last few days I noticed some weird noises coming from my chickens. They are 7 months old. I went out to work on water and feed and noticed my favorite hen bunched up like she was cold but she was also making very loud snoring sounds while breathing in. She also has a swolen eye/face on one side. I started to look around at my other girls and noticed two others are in the same condition. I have introduced 4 new chicks that were in isolation for the last 3 weeks a few days ago. They acted healthy and still do. Is this something I can treat with antibiotics and if so what ones do I need to get? Please help me. I don't want to loose my chickens. Thanks.

Here is a picture of her. She doesn't seem to have any drainage out of her nose but some look like they do.

*more pictures on page 3

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you!

My local feed store has Tylan 200. Would this be a good treatment for them? If so what is the dosage?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:yes, 1/2 cc down the throat, get passed the wind pipe. for 3 to 5 days

4. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, I went to the store and they told me wrong. They do not have Tylan it was something else the clerk thought was the same thing. They did have Duramycin-10 that I purchased. Will this be just as good for treatment? If not I will drive to the big city (2 hours away) to get the Tylan.

5. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I found a store about an hour away that has the non name brand of tylan/LA ? They said it was only an injectable though. Is this the right stuff that I can give via mouth to them? If so I am out the door to go pick it up. So far only two birds will drink the duramycin-10. The rest show no interest in food or water. [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    the tylan i use is an injectable also....reason i don't inject it can damage the muscle , not bad on a large cow, but a little damage on a breast of a chicken or peafowl not good.

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    If this hen has a strong order by her eye, this is Coryza and I would use a Sulphur drug like Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine to cure this. Don

8. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you. I will go get the tylan then. The chickens still wont drink so this way they will get a dose so it can start to help them. Thanks so much for your help!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    the one with swollen face could have sinus infection? let us know how they are doing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by