Swollen Eye Lid On Baby Chick (Need Treatment Advice)

zebal

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2015
Noticed a few days ago my smallest baby had a swollen eye. Separated it from the rest for a few days to see if the swelling would go down on its own.

After a few days it was evident the swollen flesh was not subsiding but only getting bigger. This is with the eye open and closed.

Eye closed

Eye opened.

I attempted to use a scalpel to drain it but there did not appear any puss that I expected--just blood. The tissue felt extra warm like swollen, agitated skin. So I do not want to cut any of the mass off because I assume whatever it agitating the eye if it is removed the swelling will go down. I have not seen any worms or white discharge. I am making the assumption a small piece of foreign matter got into the eye causing agitation but it is odd only the bottom lid is swollen with the top being perfectly normal.

I have Tylan 50 and Vetericyn spray gel. I am thinking about order VetRx for poultry in case I need that too. Which one or combination of these and at what delivery and dose per day would help this baby? It is a silkie chick about week old so I assume dosage would differ by half or so compared to a full grown chicken.

Any suggestions?
hu.gif

Yeah, I was wondering if that is the case after someone said one of my other hens I was asking about had dry fowl pox too. If it had to be something better this than many of the other things it could be.

There is way worse stuff they could get, there seems to be a lot of pox this year, I had in my turkeys, it's been six years since the last time I saw it, then I didn't know what it was and it scared me, now I understand it better, as long as it's acting normal and eating it will be fine, otherwise I would add antibiotics to their water if you feel uncomfortable about them or how they are looking, won't help if it's pox but could keep them from catching anything during the time.

Back
Top Bottom