Swollen eye on giant

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reedcrew, Oct 13, 2016.

1. reedcrew

reedcrew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Discovered this last evening. Worse than this today. No apparent external injury. I don't know what to do! Other eye is normal
    Top pic is from today

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Any other symptoms?
    Sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge (mucous), wheezing?

It's hard to tell, but it looks like there are bubbles in the corner of they eye?

It could possibly be a respiratory illness like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or one of the other many respiratory illnesses that chickens are susceptible to.

Separate her so you can monitor her symptoms. Flush the eye with saline and apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment. If she develops any other signs of illness, then further treatment may be necessary or consult a vet.

Make sure she is eating well and offer some poultry vitamins in her water.

Keep us posted on her progress.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. reedcrew

reedcrew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Thanks for your post. I'm getting very nervous. Don't want to put anything on it that would irritate it more. I'll use what you suggest. There's no other symptoms other than this, nasal passages fine, good breath sounds, throat clear, other eye is fine too. I thought maybe a spider bite, our TS never has anything I need, figures, they're the only game in town too.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You may be able to call your local pharmacy and see if they have something similar over the counter. Neosporin used to make an ophthalmic ointment, but I don't believe it's available anymore, but hopefully they can find you something comparable.

At least keep the eye cleaned out with saline the best you can, an insect bite, peck to the eye or bacterial infection can cause swelling like that as well. Just keep watch on her for any other signs of illness or if she gets worse, then consulting a vet may be in order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by