Swollen eye on showgirl roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noblehillfarm, Feb 18, 2011.

1. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    So this started about 4 months ago.I went to feed the barn and noticed the showgirl roo sitting on the floor in the corner his eye was running clear and very swollen.I moved him into the house and cleaned his face and started him with warm compresses and terrimycin after a week and a half the only difference was it turned into a thick cheese discharge inside the eye that I had to remove.Well after 4 months and treating his eye with erythromycin, terrimycin,neopolydex ointments as well as tylan, durramycin and sulmet its no better.He eats and drinks fine is very active no sneezing,no nasal dicharge and none of the other birds have it.It does get a bad smell if I dont clean it every day but no smell otherwise.Any suggestions?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You've tried topical and water soluble antibiotics and none of them have totally cleared it up?
    If it's some kind of respiratory thing, I know that it can keep coming back on them in times of stress, but this really sounds like an eye infection.
    That's strange that the antibiotics haven't cured it.
    I sure hope you get to the bottom of this, it must be frustrating.

3. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    Its driving me nuts.I would have thought if it was a respitory issue he would be coughing, sneezing or have some kind of discharge from the nose or ther eye or others would have it he lived with 70 or so others before I seperated him.I have covered every base I could think of and am totally lost as to what to do next

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by