Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dana0710, Dec 26, 2016.

1. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I have a hen with a swollen eye and one crusty black spot on her beak under her nasal passage. I have not noticed any drainage or other symptoms. She's separated and we put a warm cloth on her eye to open it and flushed with saline. We also put a dab of neosporin on it. Can anyone tell me what may be going on with her and how I should treat her? Thank you so min for any advice![​IMG]

2. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes they can get a swollen draining eye from a sinus infection such as in mycoplasma or other respiratory diseases. Other possibilities could be an eye infection or a pecked eye that has become infected. I would continue with the saline compresses and th ointment. Antibiotics are difficult to obtain from feed stores these days, so you may want to seek a vet. Tylan 50 injectable may be found, and it can be given orally or as a shot twice a day for up to 5 days. Dosage is 1 ml for a 5 pound hen.

4. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I have bactracillin G. Will that help? If it's a sinus infection I'm assuming it's contagious?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bactracillin I believe is penicillin G, and it is not that affective against respiraotyr diseases, as Tylan is. It will however treat staph and strep. You may want to go ahead and consult with a vet. Respiratory sinus infections usually include coughing or sneezing, wheezing/rales, nasal drainage, and labored breathing.

6. dana0710

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    I think I may grab some Tylan just in case and see how she does before treating. I haven't noticed any respiratory issues so I'm holding out hope that is it just an injury with the eye? Thank you for your responses!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, and please update us on her condition on how she gets along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by