Swollen eye

lovemychickens6

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Hello, I need some help and reassurance. This winter has been brutal for us and my hens haven't done well. I currently have the "head" hen in my house because I notice her eye was very swollen. This is my 3rd chicken that I am trying to heal this winter, and I have very limited knowledge on medical treatment for chickens. I was an emergency veterinary technician for 14 years so that helps alot but it's still not great. I believe that it is a swollen third eyelid (or possibly a cherry eye) so I started her on terramycin ointment 3 times per day on Saturday and brought her into the house. It seems to be a little bit better but not much. The research that I have done has said to use the ointment 2 times per day for 10 days (which I am planning on doing at this point). Does anyone have any other suggestions or luck with something else? I have brought her outside a couple of times over the weekend because it wasn't freezing here and, even injured, she is declaring her dominence with the others. Can I put her back in the coop with the others at this point? She is smellier than the other chicken I had in the house for a couple of weeks over Xmas and clearly doesn't like it in the house. My other hen didn't mind it at all!! Thank you in advance

I would probably put her back, if it were me, for pecking order reasons. It can take awhile for an eye to heal, since you are already using an antibiotic, I'd just keep watching it and make sure it stays clean. I'm not an expert, someone else may have a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom