1. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    Cleva girl has been trouble. She's been picking fights that her fluffy butt cant handle. Just today she got jumped by 3 other hens. They ripped out some of her feathers and ate them. I was just checking in on them about 4 hours ago when I noticed her left eye is very swollen. Her crop was empty as well. She had no other symptoms but to avoid the risk of possible sinus infection I seperated her. Shes in my garage now in a dog crate. Her eye is swollen on the top and bottom. I dont know if she got pecked in the eye or if she got stung by a bee. I flushed her eye out with saline and gave her 1/2 ml of children's benadryl hoping that it would help. It looks like the swelling has gone down a little but not much. I dont have a photo right now and I dont want to wake her but have you ever seen Rocky? Where his coach sees the swelling around his eye and cuts him to relieve the pressure? It looks like that. If it is something respiratory or sinus related I plan to pick up some antibiotics. My question is what to get and dosage. We do not have an avian vet so perscription is not an option. I will update on her condition with photos tomorrow morning. Thank you all in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would watch for any other symptoms incase she has a respiratory infection such as MG, or if it was caused by the fighting. Other chickens will pick on a chicken showing signs of illness, so the others may have ganged up on her. Look for bubbles or pus in the eye. Clean it with saline, and apply some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment or some Terrimycin from your feed store twice a day. Post a picture tomorrow if you can.

3. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    I see no other signs but im keeping an eye out. Shes not lethargic. Shes eating and drinking. She has been molting though. Shes lost 3 feathers since I seperated her. Her poop looks normal. No discharge from the eye or nasal cavities. No gurgling or raspiness in the throat. Just the eye and some feather loss

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Molting can be a time when they can be stressed and more susceptible to infections or getting picked on. Let us know how she gets along. If you want to treat her for MG you can find tylosin powder online and get in a couple of days:
    https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

5. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    Can I just use Tylan? Im pretty sure TSC sells it

6. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    I also have amoxicillin in my fridge. The cat was sick and they prescibed too much.

7. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    The SO needed to go in the garage so since he was waking her up anyway I took some pics:
    Normal eye (right)
    20190711_204602.jpg
    Swollen eye (left)
    20190711_204635.jpg
    It looks a little better if you can believe it. It was worse. Or perhaps I'm just hoping its getting better...

8. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Crowing

May 11, 2018
    Northwest Indiana
    Close up of the eye: 20190711_204635-1.jpg

9. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Swollen tear duct? Borax flush.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you have Tylan50 you can use that. It seems to be hard to get right now (sold out everywhere) you may luck up and your TSC still have it on the shelf.

Please use SALINE to flush the eye. You can purchase it at a pharmacy like CVS or even Walmart. You can also make your own by boiling 1tsp of salt to 2 quarts of water for 15 minutes.

Borax is not an eye wash and should not be used in the eye.
    Even an eye wash with boric acid can be toxic to babies, so I would not use it for chickens.
    Why not just use sterile water or saline.

casportpony and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: