Swollen eye!!

Dalylah

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
My hens eye is swollen what should I do? The top pic is her bad eye and bottom pic is her normal eye.
CE0CF08F-0014-42AF-9B0F-6A55D26AF7B2.jpeg
t
40C0C8BB-FE9C-41D5-9B30-6B6003DFE452.png

It's hard to really tell the severity of the eye problem from the picture you posted. Could you post a clear, up-close photo of her eye?

I notice she's panting in the picture, likely due to heat (correct?), but besides that is she sneezing at all, coughing, or excreting discharge from her eyes, or mouth?

Post another picture. But, the swelling does look minimal, so if she's not showing any other symptoms. I would be inclined to think that she likely got a piece of foreign matter (dirt, bedding, feed) in her eye, and it's gotten a little irritated.

You can make some saline, or get some eyewash, and copiously flush her eye in an attempt to dislodge anything, you can then wipe off with a damp towel. If it looks pretty swollen, an ophthalmic gel like Terramyicin on the eye might be granted.

It's hard to really tell the severity of the eye problem from the picture you posted. Could you post a clear, up-close photo of her eye?

I notice she's panting in the picture, likely due to heat (correct?), but besides that is she sneezing at all, coughing, or excreting discharge from her eyes, or mouth?

Post another picture. But, the swelling does look minimal, so if she's not showing any other symptoms. I would be inclined to think that she likely got a piece of foreign matter (dirt, bedding, feed) in her eye, and it's gotten a little irritated.

You can make some saline, or get some eyewash, and copiously flush her eye in an attempt to dislodge anything, you can then wipe off with a damp towel. If it looks pretty swollen, an ophthalmic gel like Terramyicin on the eye might be granted.
Thank you! Now I just feel dumb because like 15 minutes later I went to check on it again and it was perfectly normal! 😂 and yes the panting was from the heat I live in a hot part of California.

Back
Top Bottom