Swollen Eye

Kberry13

Hatching
Dec 26, 2020
I have a hen who has a swollen eye. She doesn’t seem to want to move around too much or eat. It’s just her right eye. Any suggestions or help?

Attachments

• A8AC3691-8CDD-4120-AB28-9813FE9F0E55.jpeg
    A8AC3691-8CDD-4120-AB28-9813FE9F0E55.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 9
I see some peck marks on her comb, so I’m wondering if she was pecked in the eye? If there’s no bubbles forming in the corners of her eye or a gross smell, I would get some terramycin cream (antibiotic ophthalmic cream) and smear it on there. She probably doesn’t want to move around much because it’s hard to see. I would also separate her into a smaller dog crate with food and water right in her line of limited sight - this way you know she’s eating and drinking and can monitor her for more symptoms (check poop / crop daily) and keep her from being bullied. Use that cream a couple times a day and if it’s just a peck, should clear up in no time.

I see some peck marks on her comb, so I’m wondering if she was pecked in the eye? If there’s no bubbles forming in the corners of her eye or a gross smell, I would get some terramycin cream (antibiotic ophthalmic cream) and smear it on there. She probably doesn’t want to move around much because it’s hard to see. I would also separate her into a smaller dog crate with food and water right in her line of limited sight - this way you know she’s eating and drinking and can monitor her for more symptoms (check poop / crop daily) and keep her from being bullied. Use that cream a couple times a day and if it’s just a peck, should clear up in no time.

Thank You!! Do you know if I can get that at tractor supply or the pharmacy?

Normally a swollen eye like this indicates the start of a respiratory infection. Only respiratory infections that come to mind that can cause this would be Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG, CRD) or Infectious Coryza. Have you tried opening the eye to see if there’s any sign of injury or discharge?

Back
Top Bottom