Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Tinman, Aug 3, 2010.

1. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of my chickens eyes was swollen. I picked her up and it looks like a bug bite to me. At the time I decided to wait and see. Today it is still swollen with no improvement. She eats normaly,acts normaly and her poo is solid. She dose scratch it alot so I know it itches. She does not seem to be in pain. Should I just let it run its coarse or should I get some meds. What med would anybody recomend [​IMG][​IMG]

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Is it oozy or watery? If not, she probably just got bit by a bug, and the swelling should go down on it's own. Let us know! [​IMG]

3. The Tinman

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    It is not watery or oozy. It just looks funny and she knows it. You can tell she is a little self concious. Maybe because I keep staring at her.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:Sorry - I had to laugh!

I'd just keep an eye on her to watch for any developments. Good luck!

5. The Tinman

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Her eye seems to be getting better or maybe I`m just getting use to it. [​IMG] The funny thing is she looks like she got punched in the eye. Oh by the way her name is Snooky

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I'm curios how this turns out... i think my chickens have the same thing no other symptons though.

7. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Perhaps some benadryl for Snooky?

8. The Tinman

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Today the swelling went down alot. She is starting to look normal again. The only thing is she has become for lack of a better word CHICKEN. She is very skiddish. When I give them treats, if I just put a bowl of blueberries or something down for them. The Chick click dives in first while the Cool Chicks circle looking for a opening and the Fat chicks just stand in the background waiting to see if anything is left for them. What I like to do is throw some stuff to one side and let the Chick click go for it and then I throw some for the Cool Chicks. That make an opening for me throw some for the Fat chicks. Well when I throw some in the direction of Snookie she turns and runs the otherway then relizes "OH A SNOOKIE SNACK" by then it is to late someone else has grabbed it. I don`t throw at her just close so she has the best chance to grap it.

9. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Maybe she got pecked in the eye during a feeding frenzy. Glad to hear she's doing better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by