swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sens-5, Jan 3, 2011.

1. sens-5

sens-5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    hello,

can someone help me out here i have a rooster that has a swollen eye and it seems its starting on the other one also what would cause that i have seperate him from the flock any suggestions?????????

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Anything besides the swelling in the eye?
    Any nasal discharge or sneezing? Eating and drinking?
    Any discharge from the eyes?

3. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    yes he has discharge from the eyes and he seems like he was drinking and eating..he does not move much

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds like something respiratory-lots of times that shows up in their eyes first.
    Maybe try some water soluble antibiotics in the water(like Terramyacin). You can usually buy it at your local TSC of feed store.

5. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    thank you very much for your help

6. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    You're welcome, hope it helps!
    Also, if you have space, separate the bird with the swollen eye in case it is something that can spread-some of that respiratory stuff can spread through your flock like wildfire.

7. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    yes i did seperate him thanks

8. Don Johnson

Don Johnson New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    I have two pullets age about 9 weeks old. Both came down with swollen eyes. They are new birds, still in quaranteen form the main flock. I used an antibiotic from TC, and Vet-Med. I also put eye drops in the eyes, and has some antibiotic eye cream left over from my cataract surgery. They has a bit of nasil discharge, so I put a very small amount of Vick Todas Vapo-Rub on the top of the beak, but no on the opening. This morning they seemed a bit better. I force fed the antibiotic water, and Vet-Med to them....just a small amount with a syringe. They both pooped, and the droppings were dry and firm...not at all runny. They have been eating and drinking water, which supprized me as they are basically blind at this point. I have a 100 watt lamp on them with a reflector, and they are in my clean Rabbit butch with straw. Am I doing this right? I've had chickens for 3 years and never had a sick bird, so I assume these came sick as I've had them only 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by