Swollen Eye..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Apr 24, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,ive got a year old silkie hen with her eye swollen and closed.the whole side of her face is swollen and her beak has dried stuff on if.im not sure if its snot or the goo thats coming out of her eye.when we examined her eye my dh did pull something out from under her eye lid,so we have been flushing her eye out with saline then putting terramycin in it.we see something white stuck to her eye(or second eye lid) where her pupil would be.we tried moving it with a q-tip but it wouldnt budge and she didnt like that to much.we have been doing this for 2 days so far no change.ive been researching,and now cant decide if its respitory or something else in her eye.i cant post picks cause my daughter borrowed my camera.do you all have any suggestions? oh yea,shes eating,drinking,pooing,running around like normal.no wheezing,shaking head,scratching eye that ive noticed...thanks for any help...

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I am not sure what she has, hopefully someone else can help, I hope she gets better [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    does she smell really bad? are any of your other birds showing these signs?

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:dont see any symptoms with the other birds,she always smells bad!! shes the dirtiest silkie ive ever had..lol but she doesnt smell infectious,if thats what you mean..

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:dont see any symptoms with the other birds,she always smells bad!! shes the dirtiest silkie ive ever had..lol but she doesnt smell infectious,if thats what you mean..

Is she quarantined away from the others? I would start there and only handle her after everyone else has been tended to
    Have you researched all respiratory illnesses? look up MG -The crusty nostrils is what would worry me some and that it would not just be something in the eye.

6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.

Is she quarantined away from the others? I would start there and only handle her after everyone else has been tended to
    Have you researched all respiratory illnesses? look up MG -The crusty nostrils is what would worry me some and that it would not just be something in the eye.

if she does have a resp.thing going on what do you suggest treating her with? i have duramycin here.my flock has already been exposed to a resp.problem,with sneezing and runny noses,so i wont cull unless she suffers and cant be treated.my chickens are my pets so i dont let any of them leave my yard.should i still keep flushing and using the terramycin?

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Is she quarantined away from the others? I would start there and only handle her after everyone else has been tended to

if she does have a resp.thing going on what do you suggest treating her with? i have duramycin here.my flock has already been exposed to a resp.problem,with sneezing and runny noses,so i wont cull unless she suffers and cant be treated.my chickens are my pets so i dont let any of them leave my yard.should i still keep flushing and using the terramycin?

I so wish i could give you a solution:( I would put all on the duramycin-can't hurt and could treat-but could also come back:( How many birds? have you gotten any birds from someone else lately?

8. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i actually got her from a friend that keeps her chickens in a temp. controlled building,but she shows her birds.i did quarentine her,but you know how that goes? i really dont find it to be a big deal.ive only had to treat 2 out of 45 for bad wheezing.other then that they just do some sneezing and are fine.this is the first eye problem ive had...

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I dont show for fear of contracting/picking something up and bringing it to my flocks-( that and I have no time now). anyhoo-if you only have 2 infected somehow I would seperate them and treat them...Hoping someone else will chicme in and tell you something I haven't or lead you somewhere to read up. good luck~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by