Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickrescue, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Chickrescue

Chickrescue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hi, am very new to chickens and have looked all over the site and can't find anything like this. The eye is a little watery but nothing else. She was given to me yesterday and they said it had been like this for a few days. I do think it has grown since yesterday. Drinking, eating and pooping ok.
    She is a only a year old, leghorn. She scratches it a little and flicks her head a little. Nothing extreme. I have put her in her own cage at the moment so the others don't bully her as she is obviously not at her strongest. She is very thin and I can feel her bones. I would struggle to find any vets fews. Is there anythng I can do? x

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    It looks to me (& I'm no expert!) like she could have an abscess in her sinuses. It looks like there's a lump under her eye and its so swollen its forcing her eye shut a bit.
    If you touch it, does it feel hard?

If it is that, she'll need it cutting open and cleaning out. It's really a vet job, I'm afraid. If you can't afford that, I'd put her on an antibiotic like baytril and see if it makes any difference [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That looks like a sinus infection brought on by a respiratory illness. That pocket is filled with puss and must be opened, hard puss pulled out, cleaned out and ointment applied, then start her on a course of Tylan 50 injections under the skin , 1/2 cc for 3 days. I must tell you however it is probably Coryza( will get a bad smell about the face) or one of the other nasty infections that spreads to other birds easily, can be a carrier state where infected birds may look better but continue to shed the virus during their lifetime. Do a search on Coryza, CRD & MG so you can make a better decision on what you want to do. It's tuff

4. Chickrescue

Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks guys,

Martha is booked into vets at 3 today so hopefully will find out for definate before making any decisions. Can also hopefully get the other girls onto some antibiotics before anything strikes.

Thanks for your help. x

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Fingers crossed for you! (I've got a Martha too [​IMG] )

6. Pokster

Pokster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Manistique, Michigan
    [​IMG] I hope your sweet girl feels better very soon. Let us know what the vet has to say. I thank God every day that the farm i take care of is owned by a vet!

7. Chickrescue

Jun 8, 2011
    Hiya,

The vet is not sure if it is an abscess or Mycoplasma. She has an eye cream in case it is an abscess and antibiotics incase it is Mycoplasma. She is underwieght so I need to get her fed up with anything she will eat and just a case of fingers crossed. Friday is the deadline to show some improvement. xx

8. Pokster

Apr 29, 2011
    Manistique, Michigan
    Thank you for the up-date my fingers are crossed, i know you will get sweet girl back on her feet i have faith in you both. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. Pokster

Apr 29, 2011
    Manistique, Michigan
    How are things today with your sweet girl? Is she looking or seem like she is feeling any better.

10. Chickrescue

Jun 8, 2011
    Hiya, thank you for asking. She seems the same, I managed the eye cream and got the antibiotics down her. I let her out in the garden on her own yesterday and she wandered round without a care in the world. She's had some treats and scraps last night and a scrambled egg this morning and ate it all. She's had a cuddle, but just no change. But I suppose that's almost a good thing as she isn't getting worse. xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by