Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DJFarm, Aug 18, 2011.

1. DJFarm

DJFarm New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    This evening I went to check on my animals and found one of my hens standing by the fence. I saw she was scratching at her eye and she let me walk right up to her (which is unusual). Once I walked up I noticed her eye was swollen shut. I picked her up and took a look at her, opened the eye and didn't see any discharge. The other eye is open and clear. While holding her I also noticed poop caked on her back end and hosed it off. Then last but not least when I put her down I noticed her limping some with a small wound on one of her legs. I cleaned out the wound and added some Sumet to their water. Is there another dewormer or something I should try for the diarrhea? I'm thinking her eye was due to a bug bite since no discharge????

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Sounds like she was attacked. Something probably scratched her eye. Flush it out woth saline solution and try a warm campress. Separate her from the other chickens and keep her warm. Add warm water to her food to make a warm mash, and put neosporin on her wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by