swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Purdue, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Purdue

Purdue New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi I have a adolescent hen who over the weekend began to lose her balance. I have isolated her and after searching have given her tylan50 SQ. She is only 8 oz so I gave her 0.15cc
    today. I started her on sulmet yesterday even though the fecal check was neg. just in case. She is eating and drinking, I am giving her yogurt to help her gut.

Today her eye swelled up ...I put erythromycin in the eye and it seemed to help some ,she was able to open the eye after I applied it. Her eye is still swollen.

My question is how often do I give her the tylan and for how long??? Can I put Pred. Acetate ophthalmic drops in her eye to help with the swelling???

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with her???? So far every one else is fine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How is she doing? I see that you didn't get any responses. Wish I could help, but I haven't experienced this yet! Definitely sounds like some sort of infection so I'm guessing you're on the right track with antibiotics. Hopefully with this bump someone will be able to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by