swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KierBri, Jul 20, 2008.

1. KierBri

KierBri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    ne conneticut
    ok, this would of course be my daughters favorite trained/pet chicken. this morning she noticed the corner of her right eye is a little puffy and swollen. scratches at it a little.
    she's 8 1/2 weeks old, eating/drinking/pooing normal. ideas?
    thanks

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    could she have scraped it on something, causing some irritation? Any sneezing etc?

3. KierBri

Apr 4, 2008
    ne conneticut
    she sneezes, but no more then she always has. she's in a new horse stall w/shavings. 1 feeder/1 waterer and 22 other chicks.

4. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    2 of my 5 week old cockerels also have, what I've been calling, "black eyes" (they've all been sparring A LOT). My little Lakenvelder has one eye that is red around the edges and my EE cockerel had one red eye that he kept scratching at and now it's shut - this morning I noticed that his OTHER eye is now red!! There is no drainage or conjunctivitis that I can see... What can I do for them? I don't think they use e-collars on chickens! Tiny oven mitts for his feet perhaps?

They are both eating and drinking. They are mixed with the other chickens still, I haven't isolated them since that would mean a LOT of rearranging and building right now. The EE looked worse off this morning since one of his eyes is shut and the other is puffy... But the Lakenvelder looks a little better (he's a faster runner!!). These are the only 2 chicks with this problem - and there are about 50 of them... [​IMG] So I don't think it's a contagen... but I might be wrong?? I really think it's a pecking order thing... But I don't want a black eye to "balloon" into an infection now that the area has been.. um... compromised?

What should I do? Should I get some ophthalmic ointment? Is eurythromycin (sp?) safe for chickens? Do they have oph. ointment at the feed store you think? I don't know if I have any at my house...

(P.S. Sorry to hijack! It sounds like we're having similar issues though!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    They have Terramycin ointment for eyes at Trac. Supply.
    That would probably be your best bet.
    ~Rebecca

6. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I just looked it up online and they say erythromycin is safe for chickens... I used to work for an eye doctor and still have friends in the office... I just emailed my buddy and she is going to send me a few tubes. Hopefully she does it soon! I will keep an eye out for some today while I'm out [​IMG] There may be a TSC near where I'm headed this afternoon... [​IMG]

7. KierBri

Apr 4, 2008
    ne conneticut
    chipmunks eye is still swollen today but not red anymore.
    i have enough problems putting eye oinment in a horses eye let alone a chicken!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by