Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMama17, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ChickenMama17

ChickenMama17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Burlington, IL
    I need help for my 13 week old Dark Brahma Roo, Honey Badger. When I went out this afternoon to bring the chickens some watermelon I noticed that his right eye is swollen. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I do not see any visible injuries anywhere on him. He is currently separated from the flock in a dog cage by himself. I did change out their litter yesterday from pine shavings to aspen pellets but I would have thought that would bother both eyes... Thanks for your help!!

[​IMG] front view

[​IMG] left (good) eye

[​IMG] right eye

[​IMG] top view

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    His eye ore his eye area might have been pecked by another chicken. If so, just leave it alone, and the swelling should go down. Alternatively, it could be irritated by the new change in litter, but that doesn't seem as likely. I would expect that more chickens would be exhibiting swollen eyes if that was the case.

Though it doesn't appear like this at the time, it may be a respiratory infection. If you notice any sneezing, coughing, or discharge from the nostrils, this possibility becomes more likely. If it looks like it is a respiratory disease, get Oxytetracycline or Tylan.

Hope this helps, and I hope your Honey Badger gets better!

3. ChickenMama17

Jun 2, 2013
    Burlington, IL
    Thanks so much! I'm really hoping that is all it is! He seems to be eating and drinking fine. He is just standing in the dog cage looking around, like he is trying to figure out what is happening. Ha! Poor guy! Double checked all the others and no one else has a swollen eye. Do you think I need to leave him by himself or can he rejoin the flock in the coop? I am assuming the signs of a respiratory infection would be sneezing or coughing and drainage? Thanks again!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look at his eye closely, perhaps with a magnifying glass, with someone holding him. Look for any peck marks and any tiny worms that might be present.Here is a link to common respiratory diseases and their symptoms: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If no other symptoms,then it could just be a peck or he may have scratched himself. Rinse eye and apply an eye antibiotic. I use polysporin 2 eye antibiotic ointment,for any eye issues in my girls/boys,works very well.

6. ChickenMama17

Jun 2, 2013
    Burlington, IL
    I rinsed his eye with saline and it seems to be improving. The swelling was not as bad or as red, but still has not gone away. Where would I get the polysporin? I called the local feed store and they don't seem to have it. They only had something for horses that was $28. Would that work?? Today his eye seemed to have a bit more tears than usual and some bubbles as I was rubbing around to see if he was tender at all. Should I put him on an antibiotic as a precaution? And where would I get that (other than a vet)?? He still seems to be okay in other respects. He still is eating and drinking and exploring the yard.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by