1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justahen, Aug 18, 2013.

1. justahen

justahen New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Poor Minerva has a puffy eye. At first I thought she had been stung by a biting fly or bee, but the swelling hasn't gone down in over a month now. Her eye's wide open, but swollen all around. She's acting normal, eating well, as noisy as ever, and generally looking well. I saw a comment about apple cider vinegar in the drinking water and will try that. The other 3 chickens are fine. No signs of anything spreading. They have a good life wandering around our yard all day foraging. What are the chances that she has had an allergic reaction to a bug bite or exposure to something in her surroundings? I'd be grateful for ideas. She's one of our favorite gals. I'll try to post a pic.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Puffy eyes are usually a sign of a respiratory infection like Mycplasma or coryza. The chances of it being an injury or a sting are lessening after a month. An antibiotic such as Tylan50 1/2 ml.for a regular sized chicken either as a shot into the breast muscle or by mouth for 3-5 days would be good. Oxytetracycline or terramycin is also used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by