1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ezmoney, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ezmoney

ezmoney New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Jacksonville
    I am raising my first chicks and 3 have developed large swollen eye any help would be appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are your chicks? Are there other chickens in your yard or area where they could have picked up something? What symptoms are there besides swollen eyes? Do you have them on any medication? Did you hatch these chicks?

3. ezmoney

ezmoney New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Jacksonville
    How old are your chicks? 3 months Are there other chickens in your yard no or area where they could have picked up something? ??What symptoms are there besides swollen eyes? Slow moving Do you have them on any medication? Medicated chick starter/ wormer Did you hatch these chicks? Yes

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Swollen eyes can be a symptom of respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma or coryza. Do they have any bad odor about their faces? Any sneezing or cough? Mycoplasma is a disease that can be transmitted through a hatching egg. The reason I asked about other chickens in the area is that these things can be picked up in the air from a neighbor's chicken. An antibiotic like Tylan soluble powder, oxytetracycline, or Duramycin10 can be given in their water. Tylan 50 injectable can be given as a shot daily instead. Here is a list of respiratory diseases--look at mycoplasma, coryza, infectious bronchitis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. ezmoney

ezmoney New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Do they have any bad odor about their faces? No Any sneezing or cough? No
    I have been told it could be from wild bird droppings in the yard

6. ezmoney

ezmoney New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Jacksonville
    What med would you start with?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, some diseases can come from wild birds. I would probably use the Tylan soluble powder or the oxytetracycline in the water since there are more than one, but some feed stores may not stock all of these, or have the small bottle of Tylan (the large one can be expensive.) The oxytetracycline may have different brand names, but I think Terramycin is one of them. Others you can use if you can't find these is gallimycin (erythromycin) and spectinomycin or Lincomycin. These are listed in the link I sent you. If they get bad, Tylan 50 injectable is the way to go--it can be given as a shot in the breast or orally (very carefully so they don't choke.)

8. ezmoney

ezmoney New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Thank for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by